So often friends and fellow parents who know I am passionate about tennis ask me an obvious question: “Where around here can my kids learn to play tennis?” Unfortunately, there is not an obvious answer. In a community where youth sports are a way of life, I have been surprised by the lack of access and opportunity for children to learn and play tennis. (And, more broadly, the lack of tennis courts in the area, especially the dearth of indoor courts.)
I have spent a lot of time researching tennis lessons for my children (girl and boy, ages 5 and 6) and compiled those options as a resource for other parents with similar frustrations.
Throughout the summer and fall (2019), the following options are available; only one of these locations, Chartwell, is in Severna Park:
Meers Marina, Eastport
- Monday: 4:30pm to 5:30pm Junior classes (ages 4 to 14, students separated based on skill level and age, class always run with at least 2 instructors) ($20/member, $25/non-member)
- Monday: 6pm to 7pm Pee Wee (ages 4 to 8) ($20/member, $25/non-member)
- Wednesday: 4:30pm to 5:30pm Junior classes (ages 4 to 14, students separated based on skill level and age, class always run with at least 2 instructors) ($20/member, $25/non-member)
- Peewee – Thursdays 5:30-6:30pm / Saturdays 12pm-1pm ($18member/$20non-member)
- Rising Stars – Tuesdays 5:30-6:30pm / Saturdays 1-2pm ($24member/$28non-member)
- Futures – Tuesday or Thursday at 3:00pm ($99 for 6week seession)
- Challengers Monday at 6:30pm
- Annapolis Parks and Rec – Truxton Park – Tuesdays at 6:30pm
In addition, private lessons are available from Dan Jaindl, Laura Redmond, and other independent coaches in the area.
As winter approaches, options are even more limited and Chartwell’s slimmed down bubble courts become the only option for children in the area. Meers closes for the season, outdoor private lessons are weather dependent and classes at the Bridgade unfortunately do not align with school hours for children in Severna Park public schools.
As children continue to express interest and fall in love with tennis, I am hoping to see these options expand. In the meantime, let me know if you have questions. I will continue to update this list as winter sport programs are released and/or changes occur.